Monday, February 8, 2010

My back, my bike, and my "bleeping" skin

Today will be my 4th day in a row without a workout. Friday I had a doc appointment (which is a story in itself...) in the morning, during my normal workout time. That evening I wasn't motivated either, so no running. Saturday I woke up to a foot of snow. While trying to clean the snow off the deck for the dog, I hurt my back. I can't even bend over now. The chiropractor was closed for the day, so I couldn't go until today (Monday.) I'm hoping to feel good enough for a workout by tomorrow morning!
Matt took my bike to Bike Authority today so they can add my new computer to it! (My Christmas present from Matt.) This computer will tell me what gear I'm in without having to try to look down there! It will also show my cadence. Fun stuff. But, I'll have to stick with trying to run or swim until we get it back.
Now, the doc appointment from Friday... I haven't been to the dermotolgist since we moved out of Dayton in March '08. I'm supposed to go every 6 months for a full body check because of my history / skin type. I wasn't looking forward to this, and with good reason. Sure enough, there's another spot on my back that needs to be cut off and stiched up. The doc was ready to do it right that minute, but I wasn't! I asked about how she felt about waiting until next fall (after my half ironman.) She didn't seem to like the idea, but agreed to it. The stiches have to stay in for 6 to 10 days - with no swimming, biking, or running! Plus, I already hate all the scars I have from the other spots being cut up. My back already looks like it went through a knife fight. :-( The problem with putting it off though, is that now I'm going to be thinking about having to go through that for the next 8 months. Yuck.

Weekly workouts for Feb 1 - 7
Mon - Run 6 miles
Tue - Bike 60 minutes
Wed - Swim 1300 yds
Thu - Bike 1 hr 30 min
Fri - off
Sat - off (back pain)
Sun - off (back pain)

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, sorry that you had some set backs. It seems to be going around. Paul has been sick for the past two weeks with no workouts either.

    If you ever need a good Masseuse one of my bestest friends gives a great deep tissue and she is right in the Valley. Let me know.

    Take care of yourself, I will pray that your back heals quickly and that your skin issues disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One tool that can really help eliminate low back pain during exercise is Ben Greenfield's program over at http://www.runwithnopain.com . I'd
    definitely check it out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete