Monday, July 12, 2010

Caesar Creek Olympic Triathlon - Race Report - July 11, 2010

Yesterday was a great day for a triathlon in southern Ohio; it was almost perfect (minus the sun/heat on the run.)
HFP has already posted the results. Here's my stats:

1500 meter swim (plus the run up to T1) - 29:13
T1 - 2:18
40K bike - 1:22:18 - Avg of 18.1 mph
T2 - 1:26
10K Run - 64:22 - 10:21 pace

Prerace:


The lake water was almost like glass and 73 degrees. It was a great swim for me, except on the second lap someone didn't just hit my foot - they seemed to grab it. Scared me for a second, but after I caught my breath, I pushed forward.

Exiting the swim:


T1 was uneventful:


Bike start:


The bike course was rolling hills with several recently paved roads. The one thing that could have helped me is if my bike computer would have worked! When the race was over I was able to see that the sensor had shifted (probably on the car ride.)

Entering T2:


In T2 I realized that I had about 65 minutes to run my 10K in order to finish in under 3 hours. WOW. I thought, "I could really do this!" I've run a 10K in 55:16 before, so even at an easier pace, I figured it was going to happen.

I had 3 levels of goals for the day. I wanted to beat my time from last month at Deer Creek (3 hrs 14 min.) It would be really nice to beat my time from last year at Portage Lakes (3 hrs 8 min.) Then there was the "ultimate goal" of finishing in under 3 hours.

Running:


So, I took off onto the run. From doing this race as a sprint 3 years ago, I knew the course was a mostly rock covered path and mostly in the sun. I took a sip of water and dumped some over my head every time it was offered. I was really having trouble keeping up a decent pace. I saw several people taking walking breaks, and really wanted to do the same, but knowing I was so close to my goal kept me at least doing a jog / shuffle. After the first 5k I saw that I had about 34 minutes left to make my goal. Knowing that I had to run the same 5k course again, I wasn't so sure I was going to make it at that point. I was really dragging my feet and experiencing a side cramp.

After the race, when I saw how little I actually drank on the bike course, and when I saw how much weight I lost during the whole race, I realized I must have been too dehydrated. I think that was a big factor in my poor run.

About to finish:


Anyhow, when I looked at my watch and saw that I had 2 minutes left to finish, I somehow picked up the pace. I really pushed it hard, and I made my goal, with only a few seconds to spare.

TOTAL RACE TIME - 2:59:38

Finish line:


This coming Saturday is another training day on the Rev3 course at Cedar Point. We should be able to get in a swim, ride the bike course, and do some running. :-)

In 4 weeks I'll do my 3rd and final Olympic distance triathlon for the year, the Greater Cleveland Triathlon at Mentor Headlands.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome meeting your under 3 hour goal! I just posted a response to your comment on my blog, then saw you had this up, teehee. Yeah it was a warm rocky run - I was having the same issues. So much sun and those rocks did a number on my IT band. I'm icing today and hope to get back by Wednesday. Anyway, great job and keep up the good work! And now that I've seen your pics, it's confirmed I never saw you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!

    What kind of bike do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job with the under 3 hour goal and I am sure you learned a lot about your nutrition - in time for the Rev 3.

    ReplyDelete