Sunday, June 20, 2010

Presque Isle Time Trial

Presque Isle State Park in Erie, Pennsylvania was the site of this morning's 12.5 mile bike time trial. The weather was beautiful - sunny, not too windy, and about 70 degrees. Of the about 130 riders, I was #98 and Matt was #99. The riders began every 15 seconds, which put my start time at 7:54 and Matt's at 7:54:15.
I started out pretty fast, because I didn't want to let Matt catch me too quickly. (Ahead of time he said it would only take him one mile to catch me.) Well, I hit 24.5 MPH and realized that was too fast on this totally flat course. Matt passed me right after the 1 mile marker. :-)
I only rode this course one other time, and it took me 42 min and 27 sec - 17.6 avg mph. (That was back in April of 2008.) Today I finished in 37:57, which was an average of 19.8 MPH! My fastest bike average before today was 19.0 mph and that was during the triathlon at Fairport Harbor last year. :)
The next time I ride this course at Presque Isle, my goal will have to be to maintain an average of 20 mph!
After the race Matt and I rode the course again, but together this time. :) So, it was a nice 25 mile day.

Weekly Workouts for June 12 - 18
Sat - Bike 26.25 miles
Sun - off
Mon - Run 5.81 miles and Swim 1340 yds
Tue - Bike 50 min (on trainer)
Wed - Run 8 miles
Thur - off (sick)
Fri - off (sick)

Do to my cold, I missed a lot of workouts this past week, but thankfully I made it through this morning's race and I'm feeling much better this evening.

3 comments: