Tuesday, April 7, 2009

CTC Indoor Tri - March 29, 2009

I didn't get a chance to write a race report last week because after the tri I was busy cleaning the house and packing for a trip to Vegas. I'm back home in snowy Ohio and finally getting caught up with house work, so I figured it's time for an update.
I had previously volunteered at an indoor tri, but never competed in one. So, this was a first for me. This indoor tri consisted of 20 minutes swimming in a pool, 20 minutes of spinning on a "spin" bike, and then 20 minutes of running around the indoor track, all at Case. (CWRU) About 18 to 20 people competed in the tri, and we went in two heats. I jumped in lane one of the first heat. I typically swim sets of 500m in about 10 minutes, so I figured I would go about 1000m (or 40 lengths.) Sure enough, I went 40 lengths, plus about 1/2 of another, so they rounded up to 41. Since we were using spinning bikes, the bike portion didn't really count for distance, but a CTC guy kept us working hard by coaching us through a workout for the 20 minutes. Down on the 200m indoor track, I knew I would be getting lapped by some of the speedy runners, but it was nice not being on a treadmill. I ran about 2.34 miles in 20 minutes, which is around a 8:32 min. per mile pace. Not bad for me. I didn't set any big goals for the day, but just wanted to get in a good workout in the company of other great triathletes.
I received a certificate for being the first female in my age group (30-39), but I think that's because Elizabeth (also in my age group) placed in the top 3 overall. :-)
My next big race is coming up April 25 when I'll run the Hermes 10 Miler.

No comments:

Post a Comment